Friday, February 18, 2011

Creating "Pull"

Sometimes you would wear an outfit but feel that it looks drab on you but fab on someone else. And that already with the right accessories and the whole nine-yards.

Well, you might want to think about how you accessorize.  It is all about creating the "right pull" and where you want people to focus on, e.g. is it your top, jacket, shoes, middle part, or top to toe. 

I have a few examples here. All the exact same outfit, but if you look at it, each picture "pulls" your eyes differently and creates a different impression.  

          
So, which one is your choice?


In this picture, the dress seems muted because of the color of my shoes and bag.  Focus is on me, and it looks okay.  (Dress: Yin & Yang, Bag: Chloe, Shoes: Aldo)
In this picture, focus is definitely on the bag and shoes.  The bag tends to pull eyes towards it, making the dress louder than it is.  The size and the color of the bag is overwhelming in contrast to the dress and pulls the eye to keep focusing on the bag. (Bag: Kate Spade, Shoes: Guess)

Here, although the shoes are loud, the bag is not.  Focus is on the whole outfit, rather than shoes or bag alone.  I accessorize the bag with a pink scarf to perk up the bag and make it noticeable, just nicely, and it also pulls the whole outfit together.



5 comments:

  1. Waaahhh!!! You look fab! I'd wear the dress to death if I were you. I love pic #3 n Agree with the pull concept. I usually would go for necklaces, bold colored headscarves and what's not. I'm too lazy to change bags, though and would just wear any shoes on my doorstep as I rush to work. So to be on the safe side, I keep black heels at work for those moments when the shoes I wear are dead match with my outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have future plans to include a section for 'budget buys' not cheap buys, just coz. Every woman wants to look good, but they are limited by their budgets ... and boutiques are way beyond their reach. So where do they shop? How often do they shop? ie. purchases must last a long time, bought at a 'lean price'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the second -- you just need some statement sunglasses. :) However, I admittedly love a little d-r-a-m-a.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms.Piece of Cake: Thank you :-) I have been wearing the dress to death, well, within my schedule of course :-D. Definite repeat every 3 months.

    Joanie: For shopping ideas, please see my Dec 7 post. Will add as I go along (and if it inspires me). How often one shops is really a personal preference :-).

    Jimmy: Yes!! Drama is good and that is my Friday outfit usually (although then, people in office need sunglasses - too glaring!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. dont forget the right outfit to really fit the dusty nasty Jakarta... more more more!!!

    ReplyDelete