Friday, February 11, 2011

Cropped Jackets

Cropped jackets are one of those tricky things if you have a 'problematic' body.  It can actually make your hips look like a hippo's butt or make you 'top heavy'. At any rate, it is definitely not the easiest clothing item to work with.

However, I have found a few ways to make this jacket work. I am one of those people with that problematic body - I am only 5'2", my legs are too short for my body and I have large hips. Without the right choice of clothing underneath, I will undoubtly look frumpy with this jacket.

If you have a body like mine, make the cropped jacket work for you with these tips:

1. Use monochromatic colors as the base - it will bring the eye from top to toe and give a 'tall' impression. .

2. 'Cut' your body slightly at the waste just where the jacket ends with a thin belt.  This will give a thinning illusion of the body.

3. Wear a top with a neckline lower than the jacket. This will bring the attention to the top rather than the jacket itself.

4. Elongate your legs further with high heels and trousers that cover the heels of your shoes.  It will all-in-all give the perception of one long pencil.

These all will accentuate the jacket in the right places and bring out 'you'!

Jacket: Alexander Wang, Trousers: Zara, Belt: Ferragamo, Bag: Balenciaga, Shoes: Guess



3 comments:

  1. Would cropped jacket works with my body? It's no secret I have A tummy (on bad day there's no hiding it) and athletic shoulders (no need for pads here ever), but I'm definitely drawn to this kind of jacket. When I'm shopping solo, I'd grab the one that catches my eyes, but when I'm shopping with friends (read: skinny ones) they always advise against it because that kind of jacket makes me *coughs* bigger. HELPPPP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms. Piece of Cake :-)
    Yes, I think you can still work this cropped jacket. Try to do a monochromatic color underneath with straight pants. Don't worry about your shoulders, that should be an asset! On the tummy, find pants that have a "slimming effect" on the waist and thighs, such as the one that has some sort of wide waist band with a bootcut. That usually works for me, since I, too, have thunder thighs!

    Good luck and send me photos! -J

    ReplyDelete