Friday, April 1, 2011

Fun with Stripes

Wearing stripes is always tricky. It can make you look heavy or thin, tall or frumpy, confusing or elegant.

Stripes is a great fashion tool to give an "optical illusion" that a person is thinner and taller than she is.  However, not all vertical stripes can make a short person tall or a heavy person thin. It all depends on the design, color, width of stripes and your complexion.  When you are thinking about wearing stripes, look at your ensemble as a whole.  Just because it looks good on someone doesn't mean it would look fab on you.  Try it on, wear different shoes, shorten the sleeves, try different hairstyles...it is a lot of work but who doesn't want to look good?  The last thing you want is to look like a box :-P

(Dress: Marni, Shoes: Charles & Keith)

This dress is really unuser friendly.  The stripes are mainly vertical but then there is this huge DNA helix-structure-look-alike in the middle. I bought this dress because of the color and because it was a sack dress but I sort of regret it.  It was sitting in my closet for sometime until I finally had the courage to take it out and experiment with it.  It had long sleeves and if I roll down the sleeves, I look super boxy.  I tried it with strappy heels (which was what was shown on the catwalk trend), but it looked soo 'confusing' on me.  It wasn't clear whether I wanted people to look at me, my dress or my shoes.   So, I rolled the sleeves up, wear simple pumps and put my hair up. Focus is on the center of my body, rather than all over the place causing people to get cross-eyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment