Thursday, December 16, 2010

My Roaring 20s


When we were planning our wedding dinner, we wanted to have a memorable and unique theme.  We went through several era, movies, countries,...and finally agreed that the 1920s would be nice and elegant.  We tried to stay as close to the theme as possible - outfits for sure - but also the font of the place cards, the dishes served, the drinks, the way the menu is written and the entertainment and dancing (although the last one we had to forfeit because it was raining, but that is a different story).

So when it came to picking out a dress, you would have thought, oh that must be easy. Not!  For one, only after sending out the invitations and determining the dress code I realized that I don't look good in a flapper dress! So I had to search high and low for an option other than a flapper dress that fits the 1920s theme but at the same time suits me.  I did my research on the internet and basically the key is to have a low or no waist dress.  So here I was on a quest on a Saturday afternoon down Orchard Rd.  The dress I found was actually not flattering on the rack.  The color was this off beige - can't really tell if it was planned to be white, beige, peach or what - and the cut looked really "auntie".  But then when I tried it on, it looked really nice on me (or so I think :)). Then I went home and paired it with super long strands of pearls, a feather in my hair, a bob hair cut and red nails and lipstick. It just did it!  For the guys? Just a slim-cut suit, a narrow tie and a hat. A small detail to add: hem the bottom of the trousers outwards.

2 comments:

  1. J you look fabulous......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! You looked gorge!

    I love love the 20s! It always transported me back to the Great Gatsby era which I had to present to my English lit class back in high school. I just wish I had pictures of the outfit I wore; a short dress with tons of soft fringes and long drapey necklaces. *sighs*

    ReplyDelete