Saturday, September 25, 2010

What's In Your Closet...?

I love watching Tim Gunn.  For those of you who don't know him, he is the Creative Chief Officer for Liz Claiborne and also in Heidi Klum's Project Runaway.  I love his style and his fashion advice, and he is my "virtual mentor" when it comes that. 


The most noticeable thing I learned from watching Tim is taking note of the items in your closet and ensuring you have the 10 basic necessities for a good wardrobe.  Not all may be applicable to us living in this all-round Summer weather, but the key is to understand the concept.  Below are my rendition of Tim Gunn's "10 Essential Elements"


Tim Gunn's 10 Essential Elements


Dresses
1. The LBD: I have to admit, I have more than my fair share of LBDs in my closet.  I love them, they are timeless, and you can use them for every occassion - dress them up, dress them down, use your super high killer Pradas or with your little ballerina flats.  It works everytime and it is fool-proof for me. 


However, a little watch out is that there are many options out there today.  Choose one that is simple but flattering for your body and one that you can accessorize in different ways. For example, a toga-inspired LBD is gorgeous, but you can only use it once or twice before people notice it is the same dress.  Too much details on your LBD can make it a one-hit wonder dress. 


2. Everyday Dress: This is other than your LBD (although I can argue I wear my LBD during the day as well :)). I have a white sleeveless dress that I can wear with a blazer or a cardigan, day or night.




Tops
3. Dress Shirt: I always struggle with this.  I can never keep anything white white.  So, I opt for an ivory color shirt.  If ivory is not your cup of tea, choose a different color shirt that you can use over anything and with everything - jeans, skirt, trousers.  It can even be black!  The key is to have a nice cut shirt with a good fit, and fit doesn't mean tight - that is, you can still button the shirt without having your inerts peak out :-)


4. Any Occasion Top:  I have a sleeveless shirt that I can wear dressy for a dinner, but also dress it down with jeans.  It looks something like the one in this picture, but really it is not limited to that.  Again the idea is all your pieces should be able to be converted from day to night and vice-versa.




Bottoms
5. Skirt: This is also a skirt you can use with anything.  Again for me, it's a black, pencil skirt.  


6. Dress Trousers: I choose a black-colored one, high waist, wide-leg.  I chose a pair that fits me well, and I can use with my shirt in or out, with a t-shirt or with a blazer.  It's my all-round trouser for any occasion. 


7. Jeans: Hmm this gets a bit tricky.  You would have to get a pair that suits your body well.  The website below shows various types of body types with what cut that can suit them.  Hope this gives you an idea.
how-to-find-your-body-s-best-jeans




Jackets
8. A Blazer: This is basically a jacket you can rely on any occassion.  It can dress you up for a congress, but also you can dress it down with a pair of jeans and t-shirt.  Again, a good fit is important.  I sometimes bring mine in the cabin of the airplane, to cover up my t-shirt, so that when I step out of the plane I look dressy.


9. Trench: In 10 Elements, Tim suggested a trench coat.  However, we may not need it in this weather, so I changed it to a long cardigan or a wrap around long jacket.  Always handy, always slimming, always cool, always stylish!


10. Sweat-suit Alternative: In other words, something other than your house clothes, but casual enough for home, good enough to go to the store or take your son to soccer.  I chose an outfit like in my "Gracing Angkor Wat" post, stylish but very comfortable.  Lose the accessories, and you are dressed down already.


Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment